Welcome to the Blount County Memorial Museum
Although our Museum is small by big city standards, we have a collection of artifacts and records that any sized museum would envy. Consequently, we change our collections quarterly (or even more often, if conditions dictate). This allows us to update our website to reflect changes. This helps keep things from getting "dated." We hope our viewers like what they see here.
Blount Countians are always aware of the sacrifices of our veterans and their families, and part of our mission is to honor them. Many of our veterans help with our mission to record and maintain the records and artifacts of these families. Our appreciation for their contributions to our Country is boundless.
The Summer Quarter begins with the newly dedicated King's Bend Scenic Overlook Park being featured. This park is an example of local government, civic organizations and individuals working toward a common goal. It is also a prime example of how to turn a potential liability into a Blount County asset. This was accomplished with a modest budget and finished with ten percent underrun in the final cost.
- Located on US Highway 231. between Blountsville and Cleveland, the park provides scenic views up and down one of the best white water rivers west of the Mississippi.
- It is always a bit of a surprise when someone contacts us about one of the County's original settlers. Recently, we were contacted by a Californian descended from the Hamby and Crump families; he had a family bible with information we had not seen. He graciously loaned the Museum his bible and several pages of handwritten notes about his ancestors. Needless to say, we are very pleased to be entrusted with this family bible.
- The Museum is fortunate to have its volunteers, who accept the many mundane tasks cheerfully and complete them professionally. Among these volunteers are young missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ. Part of their duties as Church missionaries is to volunteer with local civic organizations. The Museum has been fortunate to have several to spend some of their time with us. If you get a chance, stop in and welcome them to our community.
- Please take time to review the events page to see what's going on in Blount County. Also, if you have a family or community event you desire to be listed on our events page, just call the museum or email the Museum with your notice (no ads, please).
- Also, stop by and visit with us for a while; we're conveniently located just south of the Courthouse in Oneonta. The Museum hours are 8:00am until 5:00pm, Tuesday through Thursday. Also, visit our Facebook page. We have quite a collection of Blount County family records and genealogies. Knowledgeable family researchers are available to assist visitors. If you have family records and stories, we would be pleased if they were shared with us. If you cannot stop by, then just call (205–625–6905) or email them to the museum.
Past Ports Are In Stock!
The Museum has received a fresh stock of the Alabama Bicentennial Past Ports. They are a commpendium of historic destinations in each of Alabama's 67 counties, featuring hisotrical and cultural sites and events. Each Past Port also fea tures original artwork depicting the State's rich heritage.
Stop in and get one – they are only $10.00/each.
Visit the BCMM Facebook Page
We have an active group of FaceBook® followers, and we invite everyone to drop in from time to time. It's also a source of additional information about the early families who settled Blount County, as well of the County's history and heritage.
Friends of the Locust Fork River
Check the events page for upcoming FLFR activities. For additional information about any of these activities, contact the FLFR.
Planning a Tour?
The Museum provides guides for touring groups visiting Blount County. Please complete the tour notice form to request a knowledgeable guide.
Whether it's a visit to the covered bridges, Palisades Park, County Caves, or a working farm, we're always pleased to tell about our County.
Blount County Roots?
If your family has roots in Blount County, we invite you to join the Blount County Historical Society (BCHS). Dues are only $10.00/year. The BCHS meets quarterly and provides supporting services to Operation Grateful Heart and the Blount County Memorial Museum. Just download an application form complete it and mail it with payment.
Tips for Family Researchers
Besides information about our County's history, there are tips for family historians, which reflect the findings of veteran family researchers.
If you have an announcement about a family reunion or suggested site links, please send to the
Curator. We would be pleased to add them. No ads, please.
Page last updated June 11, 2019.
© The Blount County Historical Society, Inc., 2019.
Notify the museum's
about broken links or about adding links.
Best viewed with Internet Explorer®; may be viewed with Firefox®, Opera®, IceDragonTM, and Safari®.
Microsoft Edge® may be used but is not recommended.
It is better to view PDF pages with Adobe Acrobat Reader®.